Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: Nocturne by Syrie James

When Nicole Walker runs off the road in a blinding snowstorm after attending a friend’s wedding at a Colorado ski resort, she wakes up to find herself stranded at the remote mountain house of a handsome, enigmatic stranger. She lives and works in a fast-paced, high tech world; he is cultured and modern yet lives a quiet life in self-imposed exile. They are both powerfully attracted to each other, but there are things about him that mystify her and fill her with apprehension—and Nicole can’t shake the feeling that he really doesn’t want her there. She soon discovers that he’s a famous, reclusive author, renowned for his highly detailed and authentic historical fiction, and fiercely protective of his privacy. No wonder he was so reluctant to take her in, Nicole thinks. But he hides a far darker secret. As the sexual tension between them builds, the clues mount up. When Nicole realizes that her host is an ages-old vampire who thirsts for her blood, there’s nowhere for her to run but the blizzard raging outside, and he’s the only one who can save her life. By now there is no turning back; they have both fallen deeply in love, and share several passionate days together while waiting out the storm—a deep, meaningful, and dangerously seductive experience that will change them both forever.

I was so looking forward to this one and I had no trouble finishing it within a few days. It was indeed a story filled with love, vampires (well maybe just the one), dark secrets and lots of chemistry. What I wasn't expecting was the ending James threw into the mix. If it's possible to take a plot revolving around a vampire a make it realistic, James has done it.

When our main character Nicole is stranded in a blizzard and saved by a stranger the tension is off and running. The two spend a lot of time trying to figure the other our, while at the same time fighting the growing attraction that continues to build between them. I enjoyed the details James threw in that filled in some of the puzzle pieces. I'm not sure what the reason is but this story or more accurately the ending of this story left me disappointed. I understand why it was written the way it was and I may have even done the same if I was the author, but it wasn't the ending I was hoping for.

But despite all that, I really enjoyed James' writing style. It was easy to follow, filled with just the right amount of detail and description, and flowed effortlessly from one chapter to the next. I think sometimes I want or am in the mood for a certain type of read and when I get something outside of that criteria at the time, it's difficult for me to get a judgement for how I really felt about the book. So even though it wasn't what I was expecting I think readers are going to enjoy James' story.

I gave Nocturne 3 shamrocks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails