Tuesday, July 13, 2010

ARC Tour & Review: Crossed Out by Kim Baccellia

Following the light can't be that hard, right? So why don't the dead just do it and leave Stephanie Stewart alone? However nothing is ever as simple as it should be, as Stephanie learns when her hidden 'gift' becomes more than a nuisance, quickly turning into a liability. If she can't learn to trust someone with her secret, the world as she knows it will go to hell. Literally. But if she doesn't choose wisely, she might just end up learning firsthand how hard it is to follow that light. Because she's next on the list to be crossed out.

This turned out to be a little different from what I was expecting and I've been having trouble deciding how I feel about it overall. The main characters Stephanie and Dylan have gifts and an understanding of worlds and possibilities that your normal, average person cannot even begin to imagine. I have to admit that for starters I had a hard time believing the premise surrounding this plot. I didn't really connect or identify with any of the characters and I think that had a lot to do with my mixed feelings. I didn't really feel invested in the people or actions going on in the story while I was reading.

I do however, think the idea of "rescuers" (people that help souls/spirits cross over to the other side) is fascinating and wonderful but I kind of wish I got more of a detailed background than I did. I'm not sure if this is a stand alone novel, or will be the first installment in a series, but to be honest I could see it going either way. I normally don't encourage too much detail or a slower pacing of the plot but with this story I think I would have been able to enjoy it more if there was a more detailed background given about the characters and ideas surrounding the novel. Maybe a slowing of the pace - I kind of felt like the second half of the story was rushed. Mine is just one opinion, but this just wasn't a favorite of mine. Maybe if this becomes a series I'll be able to take a look at the sequel and be pleasantly surprised, fingers crossed.

I gave Crossed Out 2 shamrocks!!


1 comment:

  1. I thought the book was great and a great read. I normally don't read fiction, but this was a really nice book. It is rare when I find a fiction book worth completing and trust me this one was worth it.

    I hope it does become a series. It has an amazing story line and really draws you in.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails