Thursday, February 2, 2012

New Finds (5)

Rather than a countdown post today I decided to go with another addition of new finds. There are always going to be fabulous books that are slated to come out in the future, but as I'm sure I'm not alone, readers are also always going to miss books as they come out because they're either too overloaded with other books on their TBR lists, or just overloaded with life in general.

So regardless of the reason, you're not alone and I'm going ot do my part to make sure these great reads aren't missed just because life keeps readers too busy to catch every detail. So whenever I come across titles that I've somehow missed the release date of, I make a note and get excited about them all over again. Sometimes it's even better than counting down to a title that will be released in the next year or so because when I get worked up over these titles I can go right to the store to pick up my own copy or download one to my kindle. No waiting or pining for the book to hit the shelves.

New Find #1: Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2) by Courtney Allison Moulton (1/31/2012)

Life as the Preliateor is harder than Ellie ever imagined. Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven's warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And no that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell's strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She's been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian's new plan to destroy Ellie's soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian's schemes, the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything - including herself.

She'll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay.

Oh lord. I am not liking the sound of this synopsis. After the ending and cliffhanger that Moulton left her readers with in her series opener, Angelfire I was hoping that Ellie and Will would at least get a little reprieve in the beginning of book two. But to be honest, that sounds like there's no way that scenario is going to work out. Ellie's obstacles sound like they've doubled if not more, and with her and Will pining for each other and struggle to stay professional, I'm thinking she doesn't need any added stress....like say a possible apocalypse right? If this sequel caught your interest, don't forget to enter the Goodreads giveaway hosted by Harper Teen that ends February 7th.

New Find #2: The Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LeZebnik (09/10/2008)

When Ava Nickerson was a child, her mother jokingly betrothed her to a friend's son, and the contract the parents made has stayed safely buried for years. Now that still-single Ava is closing in on thirty, no one even remembers she was once "engaged" to the Markowitz boy. But when their mother is diagnosed with cancer, Ava's prodigal little sister Lauren comes home to Los Angeles where she stumbles across the decades-old document.

Frustrated and embarrassed by Ava's constant lectures about financial responsibility (all because she's in a little debt. Okay, a lot of debt), Lauren decides to do some sisterly interfering of her own and tracks down her sister's childhood fiance. When she finds him, the highly inappropriate, twice-divorced, but incredibly charming Russell Markowitz is all too happy to re-enter the Nickerson sisters' lives, and always-accountable Ava is forced to consider just how binding a contract really is...


While this might not be considered a young adult novel, I couldn't resist adding it to my new finds list. LaZebnik caught my attention and won my heart with her retelling of Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Epic Fail, and ever since I've been anxious for her to release a new young adult novel. Since that hasn't happened yet, I thought I would check out her previous works and see what I'd find. Well, this one might be a little off the YA mark, but it sure sounds like a winner to me. So I've marked this one on my list and I plan on hitting the store with this title in mind as soon as possible.

New Find #3: The Shattering by Karen Healey (09/05/2011)

Seventeen-year-old Keri likes to plan for every possibility. She knows what to do if you break an arm, or get caught in an earthquake or fire. But she wasn't prepared for her brother's suicide, and his death has left her shattered with grief. When her childhood friend Janna tells her it was murder, not suicide, Keri wants to believe her. After all, Janna's brother died under similar circumstances years ago, and Janna insists a visiting tourist, Sione, who also lost a brother to apparent suicide that year, has helped her find some answers. As the three dig deeper, disturbing facts begin to pile up: one boy killed every year; all older brothers; all spent New Year's Even in the idyllic town of Summerton. But when their search for the serial killer takes an unexpected turn, suspicion is cast on those they trust the most. As secrets shatter around them, can they save the next victim? Or will they become victims themselves?

After reading Healey's debut YA novel, Guardian of the Dead, I was looking forward to future works from her and somehow seems to miss this one when it came out a few months back. While this title doesn't seem to have much in common with her debut title, there's still that element of a mystery and the suspense that inevitably follows close behind. Healey managed to spin her folklore in a way no history teacher ever did for me in college, she had me excited, anxious to learn more, and crossing my fingers that I'd be able to solve the mystery before it was actually revealed to readers. So if her style stays on the same path, I'm thinking this mystery could be one I'd enjoy.

New Find #4: Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) by Kiersten White (07/26/2011)

Evie finally has the normal life she's always longed for. But she's shocked to discover that being ordinary can be...kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she's given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie's faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there's a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.


So much for normal.


I really enjoyed all the fun adventures White had offered up in her first Paranormalcy series installment, and I've been looking forward to seeing what else this series has to offer. Once again I'm not sure who I missed out on this summer release date but either way I plan to make up for that by getting my hands on this sequel very quickly. Evie was a fun character to follow and all the different creatures and obstacles White threw her way made for an interesting and addicting read. Hopefully this installment turns out to be no different.

New Find #5: Dark Descendant (Nikki Glass, #1) by Jenna Black (04/26/2011)

From the acclaimed author of the Morgan Kinglsey, Exorcist books comes the gripping first novel in a new series about a private eye who discovers, to her surprise, that she's an immortal huntress.

Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can't die...


Crazy as it sounds, Nikki's manhunting skills are literally god-given. She's a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki's new "friends" include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she's a spy.


But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal batter of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she'll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy...


Yet another author that I can't get enough of. Jenna Black made me a fan with her Faeriewalker series and I was very sad to see it end. Don't get me wrong, her series ending was fantastic but I just wasn't quite ready to say goodbye for good to all those characters she had created and I had come to love. But while I still miss that series, I'm shocked that I hadn't heard about this one until after it's release date. I'm very far behind on keeping track with some of my favorite authors, but now that I'm trying to correct my errors, I've marked this one down and definitely don't want to miss out. While her world of fae was wonderful, I'm sure her world containing Olympians and their descendants will be just as good, if not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails