Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Syrie James and Ryan M. James

She should not exist.

He should not love her.


Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she's desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there's no way she's going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she's been having or the creepy warnings that she's in danger.

Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn't factored Claire into his plans...


Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire's unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her?


If I thought Syrie James was going to have a hard time transitioning over to young adult literature, I was seriously mistaken. I'm not sure if she was just meant to write any kind of literature in general, but I hope she sticks with young adult literature for a while at least because I just ate this book up. And having her son, Ryan, as the other half of this amazing writing team just added to the wonderful story. I haven't seen too many writing pairs out there, and the ones that make it work for them I tend to think are out of the ordinary or just lucky sometimes? I'm not sure, but I have a hard time believing that writing any kind of novel is no easy task or we'd all be published writers, but throwing another individual into the mix with their ideas, and ways of seeing things, and the equation just got a whole lot more complicated...am I right?

Well this mother and son pair proved that whether it was difficult or not, they overcame any and all obstacles. What a great story and series they've started with Alec and Claire and the rest of the gang. I've read a few titles that revolve around Angels and their offspring, the nephilim, but none quite like this spin. I enjoyed just about every part of this title. The pace flowed nicely and didn't slow or fly through important details, but carried on at just the right speed. I'm not sure if the writing was an equal divide, but having already been a fan of Syrie's writing, I knew her words and tale would suck me in, and it seems this trait runs in the family for sure.

All of you readers out there looking for a good and easily a quick read (since you won't be able to put it down for long in between pages) I highly recommend checking this one out for yourselves. Be warned that with each new series, there's always the risk that once you become hooked, you're sure to be at the James' mercy...waiting for that second installment to come out, and counting down the days to find out what will happen next.

I gave Forbidden 4 shamrocks!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails