Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: Collide (Collide, #1) by Shelly Crane

Sherry has always known there was something out there. She's eighteen, works for a tabloid newspaper in Chicago and has a brother, Danny who is a lazy mooch. They live a pretty normal dull life with hippie parents and a normal existence. Then the moon dissapears and people start to go missing only to reappear later, but different. Sherry has an abusive ex-boyfriend who shows up and claims to be one of these beings that have been showing up around the world. He's no longer the same person in that body. He tells her he has come to protect her and her brother and takes her underground, against her will to save her, where they meet others like them. She begins to unravel the truth about Merrick, about what he's really doing here, about the way he looks at her, about the crazy dangerous world they live in. Can he convince her that he's here to help? Will she like what she finds when she opens up to the truth? Will he be the one to love her when everyone else has failed her? Will he be able to protect her?

What can I say?  After getting a taste for Crane's Significance series, I couldn't resist seeing if I'd come to love any of her other books as much as I did the others.  And I can now safely say that she is no one hit wonder. While I love her other series, this one has great potential too.  I know I'm late to party with these books, but I guess it's better late than never right?  I'll admit that in the beginning of this series opener I was wary of the story line   I won't say I'm against science fiction material, but this whole "aliens" like scenario was one that I worried would trip me up and leave me wishing it was different or had more of something I was more familiar with.  But I honestly think Crane has the secret  equation for her readers.  And a very large portion of that equation is her central characters and sometimes the romance they share.

I couldn't get enough of Sherry and Merrick and I can't wait to see what happens next.  No surprise there.  It's tough to go too far with this review without giving away any spoilers, and that's the last thing I'd want to do for any readers out there who want to check this read out.  All I can say is that it's definitely worth your time and will make a great addition to just about anyone's bookshelves.  I'm only sorry I didn't pick up the other installments in the series at the same time so that I could have just kept right on reading.  But I plan to rectify that situation really soon and find out what's in store for Crane's new set of characters next!  I can't wait!

I gave Collide (Collide, #1) 3 shamrocks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails