Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Shattered Promises (Shattered Promises, #1) by Jessica Sorensen

For twenty-one year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. She knows nothing about her past and has been haunted by the same monsters in her nightmares for the last few months. Unemotional and numb to life, she feels disconnected from everyone. Until the very first day she cries. After that, nothing in her life is the same.
Her emotions slowly surface and she starts experiencing love, happiness, and anger, feelings she never knew existed. But they leave her confused and she doesn’t know whether to embrace them or run away from them.

Her life only gets more complicated when she meets Alex. Sexy, arrogant, and secretive, Alex can get under Gemma’s skin like no one can. Yet she’s drawn to him by an invisible connection she has no control over. She’s also seen him before. In her nightmares.

Every part of Gemma’s mind is screaming at her to stay away from Alex, but every other part of her is begging to get close to him. But the closer she gets, the more she realizes Alex knows more about her than he originally let on.

As secrets about her past unravel, Gemma’s life becomes threatened. She needs to figure out what’s going on, before she winds up dead. But the only person she can turn to for answers is the one person she isn’t sure she can trust.


Again I've got another New Adult book that I couldn't resist reviewing on the blog.   I'll admit that I didn't know much about this read going into it, and what I did learn throughout the blogosphere left me confused and not quite sure what to make of it, to read or not read?  For whatever reason I gave it a chance and was extremely glad that I did.  The book's synopsis left me with more questions than answers, and while sometimes it's a good thing, had I not seen so many positive reviews and experiences from readers with this book I'm not sure I'd have given it the chance. 

Gemma is a character who has never experienced any type of emotion...and no I'm not being facetious.  She's a normal girl in appearance, but how is a reader to react to someone going through their young life without knowing what emotion is?  As a reader I was just confused, but rest assured, if you were in the same boat, answers are revealed and questions are laid to rest.  She does however experience nightmares and a certain individual in featured prominently in ALL of them.  Of course this is how Sorensen has Alex enter the scenario.  As someone she's only ever encountered in her nightmares, readers will understand why she's so shocked and scared to meet him in real life.  What will be hard to digest is that she's drawn to him nonetheless.

Of course if things were made too easy for the characters, readers would just give up, so when Alex rebuffs Gemma's attempt to get to know him, or to find answers for herself, readers get their anxiety inducing set up.  As I was writing and planning out this review I realized that there really isn't a good way to go about explaining things without revealing too much or avoid spoiling all the good stuff, so I'm ashamed to admit that I'll have to leave readers and followers in the dark, much as I was when first starting this series.

What I can say is this...it's a series worth your attention and time.  I started out just as confused and flabbergasted as to why I was giving a book with so many questions attached to it the time of day, and yet after giving it a chance couldn't be happier with my decision.  So if you're looking for a  new read, and one that doesn't spell itself out in the write up on the back cover like so many do, than this read might be right up your alley.  It's a series that now that I've started, will be seeing it through until the end.  I can't wait to see how Sorensen lays out what comes next and am looking forward to checking out the other installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails