Friday, September 16, 2011

Countdown: Reccomendation Edition

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I have found some of my favorite reads through recommendations. Not many of my close friends are huge readers like myself, so I really have to rely on my awesome blog contacts. Either through comments left on my blog, emails I've received, or books mentioned/reviewed on other blogs that I follow. Without those helpful tips and suggestions I would miss out on so many amazing reads. I don't even like to think about the amount of books I'd never add to my shelves. So here are a few recent recommendations I've received, got any more I should check out?

Countdown Pick #1: The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep, #1) by Zoraida Cordova (4/1/2012)

Set against the backdrop of a Coney Island summer comes The Vicious Deep, the story of sixteen year old Tristan Hart whose life is turned upside down when the mermaids make an unscheduled return to land in search of their new king.

When a sudden storm pulls Tristan from lifeguard duty into a deadly riptide, he discovers what he really is—a prince of the Sea Court. Turns out, his girlfriend hopping and talents as a swimmer aren’t caused by his teenage prime hormones after all.

In this modern Arthurian tale with a twist, when all a guy wants to do is get The Girl and enjoy the freak show that is a Coney Island summer, Tristan has to fight for his life, the lives of his friends, and his humanity, if he still wants it, as he’s caught in a race for a throne that is as ancient as the gods.

When I first heard about this one, I was sold as soon as the word mermaids was mentioned. But then I come to find out it's more about their search for their king and my excitement grew. It seems our main character Tristan gets a whopping surprise when he discovers he might just fit their requirements, not to mention there are super high stakes involved in his decision and this revelation. Its rare I read a book with a guy's point of view and with their narration, so I always look forward to the change of pace. Here's hoping this read lives up to my excitement.

Countdown Pick #2: Wrecked by Anna Davies (5/1/2012)

Miranda has lived on Whym Island since the death of her parents. She has taken comfort in its seclusion and in the folklore that claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and its surrounding waters. It's just been easier to believe that things are out of her control.

But when a terrible boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends, Miranda is rescued by a mysterious boy that haunts her dreams. As the guilt of the accident consumes her, she finds refuge in her late night swims. Then, she meets Christian, a boy who seems so familiar, but won't tell her where he is from and why they can only meet at the beach. As Miranda falls for Christian and begins to put the accident behind her, she discovers that there are secrets that Christian is keeping to protect her that may only end up bringing her nothing but harm.

I guess I've got another water themed addition to make the list of recommendations because this one got me immediately! Being rescued at sea by a hunk....oh yeah! This girl seems to be a character who's unfortunate circumstances will have readers emotionally involved from page one. Heck I'm emotionally invested after just reading the book's description. But honestly it was the mysterious vibe surrounding this plot that really pushed me over the edge. I can't wait to see what happens and I'm actually hoping I'm left guessing until the very end. I'm unfamiliar with Davies, but am really looking forward to see what she brings to the young adult literature world.

Countdown Pick #3: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (5/22/2012)

Emma and her friend Chloe are spending vacation in Florida. When Emma (literally) runs into a hot guy named Galen on the beach, little does she know he’s a prince of the Syrena. Galen and Emma both feel something strange – is it attraction? – and Galen suspects that Emma might well be the girl he’s heard of – a human who can communicate with fish.

What follows is a deadly scene with a shark in which Galen witnesses Emma’s gifts. He must know more about her, and follows her back to New Jersey, and high school, to find out for sure if she’s the key to saving his kingdom. Soon, Emma can’t deny her feelings for him, but can’t explain them, either – and both she and Galen must learn more about where she comes from and what her powers are before they can trust one another and their feelings.

I could have called this the water edition of countdowns at the rate I'm going because here's yet another aquatic future read. While this one hints at an underwater kingdom and beings with unusual powers and talents in connection with water and the creatures who call it home, that's not the only reason behind the TBR addition. It was more the relationship between the two main characters that really got my attention. Calen and Emma's confusing and mysterious connection drew me in and I'm anxious to see if a great romance is in the works for these two. It all just sounds too juicy for me to pass up.

Countdown Pick #4: Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey (1/5/2012)

Wilde Island is in an uproar after the recent death of its king. The uneasy pact between dragons, fairies, and humans is fraying, and a bloodthirsty witch hunter with a hidden agenda whips villages into frenzies with wild accusations. Tess, a blacksmith’s daughter from a tiny hamlet near the mysterious Dragonswood, finds herself caught in the crosshairs of fate when she is accused of witchery and has to flee for her life along with her two best friends.

Not even Tess’s power to see the future can help the girls as they set off on their desperate journey, but she keeps having visions of a man wielding a sword. And when she finally meets him, Tess has no idea how to handle the magnetic attraction she feels for him, or the elusive call she hears from the heart of the Dragonswood.

In this epic romance, an ancient prophecy comes true in a way neither dragon, fairy, nor human would have predicted.

While this title may not be centered around the water and any underwater creatures like my other choices, fantasy is still in full effect. I'm also thinking this one may be different than others in the genre, which lets face it, is always a welcome revelation. I'm not previously familiar with this author, but her world of dragons, witches, and fairies sounds magical. Don't forget that there is of course a romance in the center of it all and there's no way I could possibly pass this new recommendation up. The cover is beautiful, the plot sounds fantastic and just like that I've added yet another title that I can't wait to check out to my TBR pile.

Countdown Pick #5: Perception (Clarity, #2) by Kim Harrington (3/1/2012)

When you can see things others can't, what happens when someone is watching you?

Everybody knows about Clarity "Clare" Fern. She's the psychic girl in school, the one who can place her hands on something and see hidden visions from the past.

Only, Clare would rather not be a celebrity. She prefers hanging back, observing. Her gift is not a game to her.

But then someone starts playing with her head and heart. Messages and gifts from a secret admirer crop up everywhere Clare turns. Could they be from Gabriel, the gorgeous boy who gets Clare's pulse racing? Or from Justin, Clare's hopeful ex-boyfriend who'd do anything to win her back?

One thing is certain. Clare needs to solve this mystery, and soon. Because the messages are becoming sinister, and a girl in town has suddenly disappeared. Clare needs to see her way to the truth — before it's much too late.

I'll admit this one is slightly different from what I normally sway towards on the bookshelves, but I can't help it. I've heard so many wonderful things about Harrington's writing that I thought it was finally time to wise up and give one of her books a try. From the sounds of it, Clare seems like a potentially unique character. Throw in the mysterious disappearance of a local girl and the fact that Clare's powers are out in the open and my curiosity is totally piqued. So here's hoping that I join the ranks of devoted Kim Harrington fans all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails