Wednesday, November 16, 2011

New Finds (4)

Rather than a countdown post today I decided to go with another addition of new finds. There are always going to be fabulous books that are slated to come out in the future, but as I'm sure I'm not alone, readers are also always going to miss books as they come out because they're either too overloaded with other books on their TBR lists, or just overloaded with life in general.

So regardless of the reason, you're not alone and I'm going to do my part to make sure these great reads aren't missed just because life keeps readers too busy to catch every detail. So whenever I come across titles that I've somehow missed the release date of, I make a note and get excited about them all over again. Sometimes it's even better than counting down to a title that will be released in the next year or so because when I get worked up over these titles I can go right to the store to pick up my own copy or download one to my kindle. No waiting or pining for the book to hit the shelves.

New Find #1: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy, #1) by Leigh Fallon (10/04/2011)

From the moment she sets foot at her new school in Ireland, Megan is inexplicably drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRis. But Megan soon discovers that her feelings for Adam are tied to a supernatural fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that unites them could be their ultimate destruction.


This electrifying debut novel was first discovered on inkpop.com. the online community for aspiring writers. THE CARRIER OF THE MARK sizzles with unbridled romance, a unique supernatural hook, and a breathtaking Irish setting, and will entice fans of the Need series by Carrie Jones and the House of Night series by P. C. and Kristin Cast.

The cover caught my eye and the Irish setting took care of the rest. I love all things Irish and Ireland related and until I get there myself I will read anything and everything that has anything to do with either. So if Megan is going to school in Ireland, I'm already intrigued. And as you know I'm a sucker for a good romance and can't stay away from one that may in fact be resisted by the characters themselves. Sign me up Fallon, let's see what you've got for us!

New Find #2: Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin (10/11/2011)


Under the bubbling hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone National Park is a supervolcano. Most people don't know it's there. The caldera is so large that it can only be seen from a plane or satellite. It just could be overdue for an eruption, which would change the landscape and climate of our planet.
Ashfall is the story of Alex, a teenage boy left alone for the weekend while his parents visit relatives. When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts unexpectedly, Alex is determined to reach his parents. He must travel over a hundred miles in a landscape transformed by a foot of ash and the destruction of every modern convenience that he has ever known, and through a new world in which disaster has brought out both the best and worst in people desperate for food, water, and warmth. With a combination of nonstop action, a little romance, and very real science, this is a story that is difficult to stop reading and even more difficult to forget.
Hello new adventures! This one reminds me a little bit of the movie, Dante's Peak with the volcano and attempts to reach loved ones that are a far distance away. Not to mention that with a guy's point of view not being very common, I try to jump at every chance I get to read them whenever I can. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the guy's POV in certain books and have even ended up craving more just like them in the past. So here's hoping that my track record holds true this time around and Mullin wins his readers over.

New Find #3: Born At Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter (03/29/2011)

Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…


One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.


Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.


Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


I'm not sure how I missed this one but I'm angry that I did. This book sounds like it has everything I love; romance, paranormal creatures ranging from witches to werewolves, and the Fae as well. I'm not familiar with Hunter's writing, but I can't wait to check it out. And the only reason I found this read was because of my next pick...

New Find #4: Awake At Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2) by C.C. Hunter (10/11/2011)

Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities. But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold.


To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away. When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point. Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...


So like I said above, I saw this book and began looking into it only to realize it's the second installment in a series I'd never heard about before. So I instantly stopped reading the synopsis and tried desperately to forget what I had already read so that nothing of the first would be ruined for me before I'd had the chance to read it for myself. So now that I've found them I'm excited to get started. I guess it's a plus that now both books are out on the shelves and I don't have to wait for their releases...but I'm sure after I'd gotten through these two that the third in the series, will have me counting down it's release as well.

New Find #5: The Glass Man (Lila Gray, #1) by Jocelyn Adams (10/15/2011)

Lila Gray is just a human—at least that’s her mantra when she accidentally topples a building or bends a paranoid local's gun into modern art. That she can sense and control the minds around her doesn’t prove anything, either. Unwilling to put others at risk, she hides in the wilderness from the beautiful creature who hunts her, one who sees her as his ultimate prize.

Alone, the egocentric Glass Man can kill with a thought. Mated with Lila, he's a supernatural weapon prepared to annihilate the humans he loathes.

Caught in the Glass Man’s latest scheme, Lila is plunged into a hidden Fae realm, faced with a secret birthright and a forbidden romance.

With the Glass Man threatening everyone she loves, can Lila accept who she is in time to end his bloody reign? Or will she succumb to his dark power and become the vehicle of destruction for the human race?


As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm kind of already hooked. The synopsis sucked me in and I'm wishing that I had this book in my hands right now. Adams sounds like she's laid out a stressful and highly intense plot filled with unexplainable powers, mythical creatures and forbidden romance! You see what I mean? The draws don't get much better than this in my opinion. I'm getting my copy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails