Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) by Jocelyn Davies

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites; like fire and ice; Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

Davies you are killing me! To be honest I sat on this review for a while after I read the final pages of the novel because I didn't want to rush into things and write a review that I would later look at and wonder what I was talking about. But this book took me for a ride and the ending did not leave me a happy camper. I'm not saying I want my money back, but I'd love it if there was an option for an alternative ending. How Davies managed to sneak this spin in on me I'm still at a loss.

The premise of this book is sure to be one that readers will enjoy. There's mystery and magic, twists and turns that will leave you surprised and refreshed that you didn't see them coming. Davies is most certainly unpredictable. I truly thought I had this one worked out and I won't make that mistake with the second installment. Add to that the love triangle of sorts and I'm flabbergasted. That's right I said I'm flabbergasted. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that most readers when given a love triangle in a book will inevitably choose sides. Are you on Team Devin or Team Asher, is the question presented to you in this series. I chose my side and was behind it all the way...that is until the end. I'm not sure how I missed the clues or maybe I misread the signs, but I was a little crushed to find out that I wanted to switch teams after the final page. Not cool Davies, not cool.

So if you're looking for a book that you can't predict from beginning to end, surprises are definitely in store for readers this go around. Book two, A Fractured Light is scheduled to come out in 2012 but no definitive date has been given yet. My countdown has already started and I'm hoping Davies keeps the twists and turns coming, even if the outcomes leave me a little confused and disappointed in my choices.

I gave A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) 3 shamrocks!!!





1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way that you did. I enjoyed all of the twists and turns in this novel and I was torn between the two guys because I never really wanted to commit fully to either one because I suspected something was not quite right with both of them. I enjoyed the legend behind how Skye was born but I was left wanting to throw the book at the end. I think at the time I had read too many books with cliffhangers so they and love triangles were getting to me. I am excited for the next book though.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails