Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Recommendations (3)

So I'm sure I'm not alone when I say how much I enjoy and appreciate getting recommendations and suggestions from anyone and everyone when it comes to books that may not have crossed my path.  It's always so helpful to hear what others think about a book, while it might not always sway me in one direction or another, it's still great to have a little bit of a heads up going into something as to what I might be able to expect or not expect, depending on the case.
 
I went on one of my favorite sites, Goodreads, and I decided to see what they had lined up for me by way of book recommendations.  I'm so glad I had the time and that I got the chance to check it all out, because yet again I think Goodreads and the people they've got working on that site know me all too well and I love them for it!  I got a huge list (insert excitement) of titles that I decided to add to my TBR list thanks to all of their help.  Here a few of the titles they recommended....do you guys have anything to add to the list?  Have you read or heard something about the titles below that you want to share?

Recommendation #1:  Inescapable (The Premonition, #1) by Amy A. Bartol

My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me--my freshman year of college. I had been hoping that once I had arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't.

I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded...sane. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he is near, I feel an attraction to him--a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking...that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would--if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to Crestwood...or him. But, get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life.

What is the secret he is keeping from me? I'm hoping that it is anything but what I expect: that he is not exactly normal...and neither am I. So maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I have been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is...inescapable.


How this series has escaped my attention until now baffles me?!  This is exactly the type of book and series that I usually jump at the chance to check out, and now that it's come across my plate there's no way it wasn't getting added to my TBR list.

A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forest

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?


Yet another that somehow got past me, but I'm going to rectify that mistake pronto!  This title kind of made me think of The Color of Rain and Isle of Night...and if it's anything like those two, than I'm already predicting loving not only this series opener but the entire series as well.

Recommendation #3:  Whirl (Ondine Quartet, #1) by Emma Raveling

Seventeen-year-old Kendra Irisavie is an ondine, a water elemental caught in the middle of an ancient war with the Aquidae, immortal dark demons who will stop at nothing to destroy the fragile balance of the Elemental world.

Fierce and independent, Kendra has always played by her own rules. Gifted with the powerful magic of Virtue and trained to be a deadly fighter, she has spent her life breaking hearts and getting into trouble.

When her life explodes one violent night in a northern California city, a dark stranger appears, promising answers to her mysterious past. Alone and with no one to trust, she must now navigate through a dangerous new world, face the temptations of a forbidden romance, and remain true to her duty and destiny.

All while the Aquidae continue to hunt her down, in the hopes of eliminating her forever…

After coming across this title I checked out a couple of reviews and they've been pretty mixed in my opinion.  Some loved it, others not so much, and some thought it sounded an awful lot like a few other books and series they'd already checked out.  So I'm curious to see what I'll think once I get the chance to dive into this one, hopefully I'll fall on the positive side...I'm always hoping to find new series to check out and continue on with.

Recommendation #4:  Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1) by Samantha Young

FEAR THE HEAT...

When eighteen year old Ari Johnson is transported from her bedroom into the chilling realm of Mount Qaf - home to the terrifying and mercurial Jinn - she learns a truth that rocks her very world. Suddenly her anxiety over college and her broken friendship with Charlie seem like small change compared to the war she now finds herself stuck in the middle of. Her unease isn’t lessened any by the hot guardian, Jai, who won’t stop following her around everywhere - a Jinn whose loyalty Ari hates to question but must. She has no idea who she can trust.

When the truth burns through her life in its determination to turn it to ashes, Ari will have to battle with ancient deadly creatures, epic family drama and heart-wrenching romantic entanglements.


It's not very often that I come across a title centering around Jinns, so when I saw this one I got excited right away.  I'm curious how this Mount Oaf will be described and what types of crazy adventures Young has in store for her characters.

Recommendation #5:  The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy, #1) by L. Filloon

Two nights after her eighteenth birthday, Lily is attacked while out jogging, but is saved by Tharin Lunar, a Sidhe prince. When she discovers that her attacker is her own brother, Lucas, who disappeared four years ago, Lily refuses to believe that her brother would truly hurt her and becomes determined to find Lucas and bring him home. Lily finds that Lucas’ disappearance is somehow tied to Tharin; so when he informs her that she is his betrothed and must return with him to Velesi, fulfill a treaty between their families and unite the two strongest clans through their marriage, Lily agrees. However, she’s not going to Velesi for a wedding, but to bring home her only family, Lucas.

On their journey to the borders of Velesi, the realm of the Thirteen Clans, they’re pursued by a Sidhe assassin group call the Ange, meet with an ogre crime lord that ends badly, deal with a sleazy troll motel manager, and when they discover that there’s a bounty on their heads, they must keep one step ahead of every assassin, bounty hunter and low-life criminal in Velesi.

Protecting Lily has become the biggest challenge of Tharin’s life. Lucky for him he has help in the form of his twin brother, Tolan, Lily’s best friend Julia and his three bodyguard cousins.


After reading through this description, I instantly thought it sounded like a sort of Alice in Wonderland story of spun story, don't you think?  It's got all the fun elements and crazy characters that you can expect to see in that type of creative story.  While there might be fun, there sounds like a load of adventures being had as well and I can't wait to read along to see what comes of Lily and Tharin and those they love.

1 comment:

  1. Wow-I haven't heard of any of these books. Guess my to-read list just got a bit longer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails