Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Verity (Cursed, #1) by Claire Farrell


Perdita Rivers has spent her entire sheltered life being told what to do. Lately, she’s felt ready for a change and the universe seems to agree. Her new best friend’s brother is the boy of Perdita’s dreams. Literally. Even though he plays hot and cold, she’s sure there’s more to it, but she’s kind of distracted by the sense she’s being followed, not to mention the rumours of wild animal sightings that seem to mean more to her new crush’s family than they should. Perdy’s on a mission to find the truth, but maybe the truth is the danger she should hide from, after all. 
Ok so right from the start I must admit that this read felt like a hit or miss for me.  While I enjoyed the story line and the characters Farrell filled the pages with, it was a pretty quick read and one that I was in and out of, mainly I think due to a reading rut.  While it didn't pull me in right from the start, I think readers might want to give this one a little more of a chance, because once it finally got off the ground and running I had fun tearing through the rest of the pages.
 
On the downside...there isn't a whole lot of mystery within this book.   There are of course a few revelations and some twists and surprises, but overall it was something I feel like a lot of readers will have seen somewhere similarly or at least experience a small sense of deja vu.  So if it reminds you of something you enjoyed, all the better....if it's a theme that you find yourself bored with, this book might not be for you, but I'll cross my fingers it could be a quick and light summer reader most will enjoy.
 
There were without a doubt a jumble of characters that Farrell put together and I enjoyed meeting each of them, but of course some more than others.  I had to say right off the bat that I cannot stand Tammie!  I wish I could say my feelings changed throughout or eventually, or however you want to put it, but nope...not happening...I just don't like the girl and I don't think I'll be alone in that opinion.  But the rest were pretty fun.  Perdy was fun to watch explore this new world and the dialogue and slang that was thrown in due to their backdrop was a nice surprise for me.  I enjoyed hearing the way they spoke and even sometimes wracking my brain as to what they were exactly talking about due to the small language barrier I seemed to have.
 
Perdy will keep readers rooting for from start to finish, and watching her try to find herself and make a way and future for herself was admirable and definitely had me turning into a cheerleader for her plight.  It was my favorite part of the book, which is saying something since usually it's the romance that sticks out in my mind or the action and all that jazz.  But I'm looking forward most especially to seeing how Perdy continues on and how her and the rest of the gang with move forward after the intense ending Farrell left her readers with in this series opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails