Friday, September 6, 2013

Guest Post: Author Kendare Blake

Strange things from my life
(that have made it into my books)


• Tybalt the cat: Yes, he’s my cat. Yes, spoiler alert! I killed him. But I checked with him first. He
was displeased, but understood why he had to die.
 
• Morfran loves ring bologna for breakfast, calls it “sausage”: my best friend’s father does this,
and he serves it on Christmas morning, along with a concoction known only as “egg loaf”. I
advise everyone to avoid my best friend’s house on Christmas morning.
 
• Lux the German Shepherd from ANTIGODDESS: was my brother’s dog, growing up. He was adorable, silver and black, like moonshine. And now he’s dead, and my brother still weeps. So I put him in the book as a present. Also because there are only so many times I can listen to my brother get drunk and hug his old collar screaming, “why god?! WHY?!” It’s been years man.
 
• The sushi that Cas and Thomas eat at The Sushi Bowl: is the exact meal I made my then fiancé eat when we were doing research in Thunder Bay. He managed to eat more of it than Cas does.
 
• Every food or meal in the books: happens because I am writing while hungry. In particular, Cassandra’s urge for a hot chocolate and a half-moon cookie. Athena’s wish for one of those breakfast sandwiches from Dunkin Donuts. There was also a scene in Anna Dressed in Blood where Anna ate a Belgian waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. It got edited out, thankfully. But man, that was a delicious scene.
 
The Author:
 

I tire of writing these things in the third person. So. I write fiction, apparently mostly YA. I didn't know this, but like Stephen King says, writers are the last ones to know what it is they've written. My first novel, Sleepwalk Society is a college story. I guess it falls into that no man's land they call, "New Adult". Anna Dressed in Blood and Girl of Nightmares are teen horror. My short fiction can be found online in numerous places.

But enough about that. When I am not writing or reading, you can generally find me sitting around wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my life. That, or being a gastronome, plotting a new recipe. Perhaps on a run or hike, playing tennis or watching Big Cat Diaries with my feline. This summer I have saved a total of three turtles during attempted road crossings.


 
Thanks so much again Kendare for stopping by, and for all of you readers, if you haven't had the chance to check out any of her previous works, now's your chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails