Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Review: Goddess Boot Camp (Oh.My.Gods, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs

Phoebe, who recently discovered she’s a descendant of Nike (the goddess, not the shoe), is finding that supernatural powers come with a crazy learning curve. Her stepfather, headmaster of the Academy for descendants of the Greek gods, has enrolled her at Dynamotheos Development Camp—aka Goddess Boot Camp—with a bunch of ten-year-olds for the summer. 


Embarrassing as that is, hopefully it’ll help her gain control over her powers in time to pass the test of the gods, continue training hard enough to qualify for the Pythian Games, and enjoy her godly boyfriend, Griffin, all while avoiding the ultimate mistake of accidentally misusing powers.


Much like the 1st book (Oh.My.Gods.) in this series, Goddess Boot Camp was a very light and fun read. All the key components that make this series great were back and in full effect. The cool cast of characters (who ended up revealing much more of themselves) were still fantastic, we got more of the mythology, and some new twists and turns were thrown into the mix that I definitely did not see coming at all!


Tera Lynn Childs seems to have a knack for creating realistic scenarios in very unrealistic settings, such as a school full of mythological descendants (please don't smote me.) She's creative and entertaining and her writing flows effortlessly over the pages. I have a hard time keeping track of how quickly I'm flying through Childs' books and by the time I glance down at the page number I usually find myself further along than I thought.

We get more of the sweet romance that I was a huge fan of in Oh.My.Gods., although it's not always going smoothly, and Phoebe's friends are all back for more laughs. We're even introduced to some new characters that provided added depth to the current story. I was personally a fan of the addition of Urian...he managed to hit my funny bone more than once.

I don't want to reveal any spoilers for readers who haven't read the 1st book, but readers will enjoy the ride alongside Phoebe and her friends (and enemies?) as she's faced with new experiences, problems and of course obstacles she must overcome. Goddess Boot Camp was just as fun as it's predecessor and I've got my fingers crossed that this isn't goodbye for good, I'd like to see more of these characters in the future!

I gave Goddess Boot Camp (Oh.My.Gods, #2) 3 shamrocks!!!



3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a cute series! I'd love to read the first book and then this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I'm kinda interested in this series. I'd like to see the whole descended from greek gods and godesses thing from a girls perspective. I got the boys from the percy jackson series which I loved(love).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was enjoyable--YEAH!

    Good review :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails