Friday, December 24, 2010

Review: Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2) by Jenna Black

On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead.

The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?


Only a fellow reading fanatic would understand how excited I was when I got an advanced copy of Shadowspell in the mail for review the other night. It was like Christmas had come early, I was beyond elated. I immediately put aside the other book I was reading and dove right in! Jenna's writing was just as perfect and addicting as it was the first go around in Glimmerglass, but it felt more mature this time around. She was in the zone from beginning to end and I was hooked from page one.

Dana's problems in Glimmerglass pale in comparison to what she's faced with in this installment and I was rooting for her even more. Her drama with Ethan rears it's ugly head but things really get dramatic when the Erlking comes to Avalon with his huntsman following close behind. I finished the book unsure of my feelings for the Erlking. I think I actually like him, but I know I shouldn't? I guess I'm still kind of undecided on the subject. But Black did an amazing job of mounting the intensity and suspense of the story thanks to his entrance in the storyline.

Keane and Finn, Dana's mom and dad, and Kimber were all back and involved (even at times when they probably shouldn't have been) and were all awesome as was to be expected. And another great comeback...the hot posset! I was happy to see Kimber bring the cure all back into action, but felt bad that the girls were in need of the stress reliever. I think I'm going to whip one up myself when I got back to re-read the story, yum!

While the second installment was packed with action, anxiety, stress and yes romance, the ending left me at a crossroads. I'm sad, happy, curious and a little worried about Dana and her friends, but I'm hoping they can pull things together in the next and third installment in the Faeriewalker series, Sirensong, which comes out July 2011.

I gave Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2) 5 shamrocks!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails