Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.


I had a lot of fun with this one to be honest.  I'm extremely late to the game with this series, but I finally decided that the book had been sitting on my shelf for long enough.  I've had friends compare this series to those like a lot of other great dystopian series out in the stores, so I was trying my best to go into this one without thinking too much about that, so that I didn't end up having any unfair expectations, and I think it worked out.

Dashner's writing was refreshing, easy to keep up with, and had me feeling like I was right there in the action alongside the characters themselves.  I didn't always feel like only an observer, but a part of the story unfolding in front of me.  A lot of times I walk away from a series opener just dying to get my hands on the next book, knowing that if I don't find out what happens next for the characters it'll drive me crazy.  I won't say that I ran right out to the store to get my hands on the second installment, but I'm definitely intrigued to see what happens next for this interesting group.

Now that a lot of the pieces to the puzzle have been answered, I can't help but wonder what other mysteries Dashner has in store for his readers in the next two books.  I'm determined to not let too much time pass by before I dive into the next installment, and I'm crossing my fingers that there aren't too many impossible obstacles laying ahead.  These characters have been through a lot already if you ask me.

I gave The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) 3 shamrocks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails