Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics That Make Me Want To Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This feature was crated because they're particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish (and who isn't?).  They're all about creating new lists including a little bit of everything and I've been meaning to participate for so long but always seemed to get behind.  I've decided that's going to chance in the new year.  So here we are and hopefully you'll head over to their page and check out what everyone else put up for this week's Top Ten.

Since just about all hours of the day I'd love to be curled up with a good book I wasn't sure how to go about this list.  But I realized after thinking on it that certain terms, words, or phrases do make me instantly flash to a reading craving, and here's what I came up with.

Word Association #1:  Blog

Of course if someone mentions a blog I think of mine and those I follow and instantly want to get back to reading and formulating new reviews and fun things to post on the site.

Word Association #2:  Vacation

Honestly it could be a few days out of the office or a full out beach/ski trip.  Either way I'm packing the Kindle and charger, or a few titles I've got for review because no vacation is complete without a good book or two.

Word Association #3:  School

For obvious reasons if someone asks me what my major was or what school I went to I remember the reading involved with my English major and want to grab a book instantly.  WVU was a fantastic school to attend and I honestly loved every minute of it.  And while there was always plenty to do, as an English major there was also always plenty of reading to be done.

Word Association #4:  Store

I'm not sure why but I love a good trip to the bookstore whether I've got a title in mind to pick up or not.  If someone says "do you want anything from the store," I'm thinking, yes, a good book would be great, thank you!

Word Association #5:  DAC

I love the challenge.  I'm a list/goal oriented type of person and putting together a list of debut titles I want to read is fun and exciting and makes me want to dive right in.  It's the excitement and hope that new authors are introducing potentially fantastic new work that's just waiting for readers to get their hands on, and I love that feeling.

Word Association #6:  Baby Shower

Weird I know.  But so many of my friends are at that stage in their lives where kids are coming along and the shower invites start coming in the mail.  While buying the baby a cute outfit or something off their registry is always easy and fun, I love adding books to their kids' libraries!  It's my favorite gift and whether or not it's a priority on their list, it's a priority on mine!

Word Association #7:  Decorating

I've decided that books always have been and always will be a part of my life and a big one at that.  I like to be surrounded by them.  It's a comfort to me that I don't think will ever go away.  So just about every space I can manage to cover or consume with books in my apartment....I do.

Word Association #8:  Travel

Again I like to have books with me when I travel but if someone I know is going somewhere unique and different I like to read up on it.  Find out what there is to do in the location, what kind of historic places there are to visit, great recommendations on food, entertainment, etc...  My sister and her husband went on safari in South Africa for their honeymoon this year and I instantly started reading up on what they could expect and what kinds of things they'd be getting to do and see.

Word Association #9:  Reality

It might sound strange but when I've got too much going on in my life or someone I care about does, I look to a good book for comfort and some peace.  It's an escape really and a coping mechanism that hasn't steered me wrong yet.  It's helped me get over a lot of touch situations and deal with a lot of hard times in my own way.  It gives me the break I need and allows me to keep moving.  Everyone has their own ways and what works for them...books are the answer for me.

Word Association #10:  Weekend

As much as I like going out and getting together with my friends and family, whenever someone asks me what I'm doing over the weekend I just cross my fingers mentally that I'll be able to get some quality reading time in no matter what else is going on.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails