Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Countdown: Missed Titles (9)


While trying to get back into the swing of things on the blog after my crazy, wedding filled Summer, I of course decided to bring back the countdowns.  They're some of my favorites posts to prepare and doing the research on them is always exciting because I seem to always end up pleasantly surprised by how many titles out there that I end up wanting to read in the worst possible way.

So while I've got a huge list already compiled of all the great titles coming out in 2013, I wanted to come back and start first by featuring some reads that I somehow missed in the past year or two.  I'm always both upset and excited to find titles that somehow went under my radar.  Upset because I already feel like I'm behind, and have possibly missed out on great reading experiences, but also excited to finally come across them so that I'll have the chance to make up for lost time and dive right into these intriguing reads.  So here's the start to the missing titles countdown.  Since these have been on the shelves for a while now, if you see any that you've read or heard anything about, let me know and give me your opinion....should I rush them to the top of my TBR pile, or possibly hold off???


Countdown Pick #1:  Ariel (The Ariel Saga, #1) by Aaron Patterson and Chris White

All Airel ever wanted was to be normal, to disappear into the crowd. But bloodlines can produce surprises, like an incredible ability to heal. Then there’s Michael Alexander, the new guy in school, who is impossibly gorgeous…and captivated by her. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she can hear the sound of pages turning, and another, older story being written. It is the story of an ancient family, of great warriors, of the Sword of Light, and the struggle against an evil so terrible, so far-reaching, that it threatens everything. Airel knew change would be an inevitable part of life. But can she hold on when murder and darkness begin to close in and take away everything she loves? Will she have what it takes when the truth is finally revealed?

How gorgeous is this cover?  It's mysterious, deep, and has me and I'm sure other readers already wondering what's going on with the girl featured on the cover.  I feel like a reader could become invested in the heroine before even cracking open this book's cover, don't you think?

Countdown Pick #2:  Grey Eyes (The Forever Trilogy, #1) by B. Alston and Quinteria Ramey

15 year old Anastasia Adams has spent her entire life on run. She and her mother have never spent more than 18 months in any one location, often times leaving with just the clothes on their backs. Despite the havoc that this is wreaking on Ana's social and academic life, her mother offers no explanation as to why it is they're constantly moving, or even what it is they're running from. But that all changes one night in the woods of Pelion, SC--the night the terror catches up with them.

Fearing her mother dead, and having barely escaped with her own life, Ana is whisked away to world of privilege and tradition. It’s a fairytale come to life. The poor girl used to living out of a suitcase is now a resident of one of the most exclusive addresses in the world. The people there adore her and she catches the eye of a young guardian who sees her as a refreshing change to the girls he’s grown up with. 

If only they could find her mother. If only she knew the consequences of being born a “conjurer.” If only she knew who that green eyed stranger was, the stranger who’ll tell her about a past too romantic, and too tragic to be real. In the end, she’ll have to choose between the boy who has captured her heart and the stranger she can feel down in her soul, assuring at least one of them an almost certain death.


I think the book's description speaks for itself, but in case you want a little more background on the authors themselves, there's a great interview over at The Readiacs where they've answered several questions regarding this series and even a few personal ones were thrown into the mix.

Countdown Pick #3:  The Reaping (The Fahllen, #1) by M. Leighton

Every hell has its devil. And Carson is about to become intimately acquainted with hers.

Seventeen-year-old wallflower Carson Porter has always dreamed of being something special, but what she gets isn’t what she signed up for. 

Yeah, a girl’s supposed to change as she gets older, but this is ridiculous! Shiny skin, greener eyes and a run-in with the flesh-eating dead are just a few of the changes Carson has to adjust to, not to mention the arrival of very hot and very dangerous Derek Hrolf. If all that wasn’t enough to turn her once hum-drum life into something unrecognizable, a twin sister that haunts her from the shadows and a wheeling, dealing collector of souls will definitely do the trick. The question is: what will her life become? And what will she become?


I am not going to lie, this cover freaks me out more than just a little. But so does the book's description for that matter.  Flesh-eating dead people attacking....not usually what I would be adding to me TBR list, but there's something about this description that got me past all the scary stuff and drew me in.  Here's hoping that I don't end up having nightmares for a month just think about this book, let alone reading it.

Countdown Pick #4:  Eden by Keary Taylor

Eve knew the stories of the Fall, of a time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. She's seen the aftermath of the technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter, able to grow new organs and limbs, how it evolved out of control. The machine took over and the soul vanished. A world quickly losing its humanity isn't just a story to her though. At eighteen, this world is Eve's reality. 

In their Fallen world, love feels like a selfish luxury, but not understanding what it is makes it difficult to choose between West, who makes her feel alive but keeps too many secrets, and Avian, who has always been there for her, but is seven years her senior. 

The technology wants to spread and it won't stop until there is no new flesh to assimilate. With only two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction. While fighting to keep Eden alive, Eve will discover that being human is about what you will do for those you love, not what your insides may be made of. And even if it gets you killed, love is always what separates them from the Fallen.


Now while this cover most definitely disturbs me, I can't even tell you how excited I am to have come across this title.  I've already put it at the top of my TBR list and can't wait to see what Taylor has in store for me.  I get a kick out of stories that go with "when technology went wrong" because for some reason I find it fascinating that while we can see the advantages to all this technology we use on a daily basis, we rarely discuss or contemplate the negatives that go hand in hand with each new invention.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pro technology, I like my smart phone and my kindle, and I wouldn't be able to have this blog without technology but still....sometimes its OK to sit back and think about what we're getting ourselves into, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails