Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.


First and foremost....how did I not know about this series until now?!  I can't believe it's been on the shelves and I have only now discovered this literary perfection!  I can only say that I can't even remember how I came across the title this past week and what really persuaded me to decided to buy it, but whatever the reasons, I'm just glad I finally did.

Totally caught off guard because I had zero expectations going into this book, I was shocked to find myself flying through the pages and unable to stop reading to do anything else.  Without a doubt a page turner, the kind where everything outside of the book ceases to register, and before you know it you've reached the last page and know for a fact that you've got to start reading the next installment immediately or you don't know what you'll do with yourself.  So because I was so excited to see that there were three installments so far in the series already on the shelves, I decided to pick up books two and three because I refused to make the same mistake twice.  I was hooked.

The characters, not just the main characters, but all of them were wonderful!  I was completely invested and enthralled with the world and scenarios Armentrout had created with this series and could not get enough of them.  They each were so different and yet flowed so well with the others that it had me feeling like an insider instead of a reader watching from the outside in, if that makes any sense.  All you readers out there know what I'm talking about.  It doesn't happen often, but every once in while you have to remind yourself while reading an amazing book that it is just that....a work a fiction and in no way a reality that you are a part of.

And I have no choice but to comment on the fact that the main character Katy was a book blogger!  And not just any book blogger, but a realistic one at that.  She participates and mentions memes that we all know and love.  The way she describes her reading and the reviews she's creating hits home and had me falling in love with this character over and over again.  Congrats to Armentrout....you've got a fan for life!

If you're lucky you've already picked up this series and are anxiously awaiting the fourth installment in the series due out this year....if you were in my boat...stop what you're doing and do yourself a favor and pick up this series, not just the first installment but all three that are currently available because hopefully you'll become as addicted to this series as I am!

I gave Obsidian (Lux, #1) 5 shamrocks!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails