Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Review: Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) by Rachel Hawthorne

I see him and know what this turmoil inside of me means: He's the one. My forever.

Kayla is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying—and thrilling—gene that will change her life forever.

Lucas is dangerous, gorgeous...and a werewolf. As leader of the Dark Guardians, shape-shifters who gather deep within the state park, he has sworn to protect his pack. But when Lucas finds his true soul mate, his love could put them all in harm's way.

As Lucas and Kayla struggle with their feelings for each other, a greater danger lurks: Humans have discovered the Dark Guardians and are planning their destruction. Kayla must choose between the life she knows and the love she feels certain is her destiny.



I can't remember how I came upon this series, but what I do know is that I'm so glad I did! Moonlight is the first in the Dark Guardian series and once again I've found myself a new series that I already can't get enough of.

As a fan of the paranormal genre, I'm always excited when I find a book within that genre that has a new twist to the old storyline. The Dark Guardians' series has taken the old tales of werewolves and produced a new and unique spin on the characters.

Rachel Hawthorne created a story out of her very realistic world and had me believing instantly! Her main characters, Kayla and Lucas were great. Brave and compelling Kayla meshed very well with the dark and brooding Lucas. Their story was romantic, yet frustrating, moving and yet so much fun. I loved it all!
With werewolves being a reality and some ill intent humans after them for their own nefarious purposes, readers will be on edge to see if Kayla and Lucas will be able to defeat them and remain safe or if their in deeper water than they thought. Will their romance and feelings be enough to keep them strong for the fight ahead, or will it all be just too much for Kayla to handle with the other revelations she's faced with?

I've always been a fast reader but I was able to really fly through this book, it took only one day for me to finish and after I was done I wanted to jump right into the next installment. There's a little bit of everything in this series; romance, adventure, action and suspense, plenty of description and depth to keep you interested and wanting to come back for more. I really had fun with this one and already ordered the second installment, Full Moon, because I just can't stand not knowing what will happen next, I'm hooked yet again! I'm really looking forward to see where Hawthorne and her Dark Guardians' series takes me next!

I gave Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) 3 shamrocks!!!



3 comments:

  1. Great review, Katelyn! I love this author, but I haven't read this series yet! I can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished this a few weeks ago and felt the same. I thought it was fun, and I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! After vampires, werewolves seem to be on the rise.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails