Friday, August 13, 2010

ARC Tour & Review: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

In Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past…and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves…and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love–the light and the dark, the warm and the cold–in a way you will never forget.


If you've ever read a review or critique on Maggie Stiefvater or her previous books you will recognize and come to expect certain key terms like lyrical, passionate, poetic, creative and talented.  All of these descriptions ring true for Stiefvater and her writing.  After reading and enjoying Shiver I had high expectations for Linger and I was not disappointed.  Stiefvater took the love story between Sam and Grace and if it's even possible made it more dramatic and heart wrenching.  You are constantly rooting for them and crossing your fingers that they will finally get the happy ending that they so greatly deserve.  But rather than stop there (because apparently Stiefvater wanted to torture readers more) we are presented with a new character Cole, and a new connection between he and Isabel.

Cole and Isabel are both going through a difficult time and I enjoyed watching them go through that together (not in a mean way or anything).  It was like they recognized something in each other and knew they could lean on one another.  I was a little disappointed that at times in the book we got more information on these two than on Sam and Grace, but at the same time it was like an added bonus.  We got two more characters to root for and care about, and another couple to hope for.  Overall I think Cole and Isabel added to the greatness that is the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, but I know some readers will want nothing but Sam and Grace and who can blame them?

I'm not sure I have a favorite when comparing Shiver and Linger but I'm upset that I have to wait a year for Forever to be released, that's just too long.  All in all I think Stiefvater has another success on her hands and an overall fan pleaser.

I gave Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) 3 shamrocks!!!



4 comments:

  1. That sounds so cool, I can't wait to read it, I just love Maggie's writing :D

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I am excited to read this one. I have been meaning to all summer! I love Maggie's writing style as well. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - it's hard to determine a favorite between Shiver and Linger. I think Shiver was perfect. It could've stood alone as a wonderful love story, and yet the depth is taken to the next level in Linger! Love it so much. And I agree that it's going to be torture waiting for Forever to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just passees an award on to you! Please go here to see the details:
    http://crzycatladyslibrary.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-awards-for-my-blog.html

    Hugs~
    Crazy Cat Lady
    ccllibrary@aol.com
    http://crzycatladyslibrary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails