Thursday, June 6, 2013

Guest Review: The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass

I'm very excited to have a guest reviewer on the blog today!!!  I'm still hoping to make this a regular thing.  My cousin and fellow bibliophile, Ashley has recently finished Cass' latest work and volunteered to write a post and review for the blog.  So please give her a big welcome back and thank you so much again Ashley for contributing to the blog, and PLEASE come back anytime you've read a read that you'd like to review and share!!!  She's the best!!

The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


Yay, I’m back with a second review! Thanks Katelyn! I have to say when our lovely bookshelf sophisticate told me about The Selection I was totally prepared to roll my eyes at the book.  A girl gets picked to get the chance to marry a prince? Another fairy tale, no thanks. However, once I actually picked up the book, I couldn’t put it down. Verdict- the first book in the series rocked- America and Maxon need to end up together.

Let’s talk about the second book in the series. Cass picks up right back up in the story, which I love. The Prince has narrowed the group of girls in The Selection down to the Elite (6). We get to see America, Marlee, Maxon, Aspen, and yes, Celeste too.

There has been a lot of criticism in reviews that nothing actually happens in this book. Excuse me, but did these people READ the book? At one point I had to put my Kindle down and walk away. Yes, America’s heart is being torn in two very different directions: Maxon, the Prince who she finally admits her feelings for, and Aspen, her first love from home. The book does have America going back and forth between the two boys. I don’t see that as a problem, seeing as how this was an issue
for our heroine in the first book, and when her feelings deepen for Maxon, this issue becomes a major struggle for her. She has feelings for both of the guys, and she’s trying to figure out which guy she will eventually chose.

One of the things I really liked is the character development. Do certain choices that the Prince makes initially make sense when we first read it? Not so much, but he later explains to us his perspective (just because you’re Royal does not mean you can do what you please or necessarily what you think is right). America makes a couple incredibly bold decisions that change people’s opinion about her. Her maids also grew to be favorites for me.

Also, we get back to some competition. The girls are split into two teams, and have to plan parties hosting different country’s royalty. When you have to work with your competition to win a competition, I can dig it. 

Not only is America trying to figure out a love triangle, add in issues with the other girls, jealousy that Maxon is getting closer with the other girls, and trying to figure out if she can actually assume the role of a princess. Other problems she has to deal with include: falling out of favor with Maxon, attacks on the castle, and a new problem for her- being alone. 

There are two events that make your jaw drop when you read it- one of them is at the very end of the book and I refuse to spoil that one for you. Honestly, I can’t even tell you what happens at the end of the book, because so much happens, but when I finished reading, it had me begging Cass (via Twitter) to tell me how the series ends- if you’re somehow reading this, seriously please just tell me!

My verdict- pick it up, stay with it and again- America and Maxon need to end up together!

**Thank again for stopping by Ashley, and keep those review coming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails