Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Review: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forest


On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. 
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?


As always with recommendations, I'm never quite sure what to expect from a read until I've gotten a little ways into the story.  But with any paranormal romance, when this book was brought to my attention I was eager to see what it would turn out like and if it could in fact, become a new series for me to get excited about and continue with in the future.  Sophia and Derek ended up being an unlikely pair that piqued my interest.

First and foremost, I must say that I found this to be a very quick read, which is a bonus if you're interested in checking out the title but don't know whether or not it will be a perfect fit for your reading tastes.  Once I decided to check it out for myself, I soon realized how fast I was making my way through the pages, and while I was enjoying the read I knew I'd want more after I turned the last page.

For the series opener, and first installment, I thought Forrest did a good job of introducing the key players and giving her readers a decent backdrop without overwhelming us with too many details or information best left for a later date.  I got caught up in this world and its characters and had no problem discovering who's team I was on and who I was hoping would get what was coming to them.

I think readers will enjoy watching Sophia get her sea legs in this new world that she's thrown into against her will, as well as getting the chance to see how things are for Derek after awaking from his long term sleep.  Events unfold quickly and sides are drawn....who's will you be on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails