Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens

Blood Slave.

Captured, taken from her beloved family and woods, Aria’s biggest fear is not the imminent death facing her, but that she will be chosen as a blood slave for a member of the ruling vampire race. No matter what becomes of her though, Aria knows that she must keep her identity hidden from the monsters imprisoning her. She has already been branded a member of the rebellion, but the vampires do not know the true depth of her involvement with it, and they must never know.

Though hoping for death, Aria’s world is turned upside down when a vampire named Braith steps forward to claim her. He delays her execution, but Aria knows it’s only a matter of time before he drains her, and destroys her. Especially once she learns his true identity as a prince within the royal family; the same royal family that started the war that ultimately brought down humankind, reducing them to nothing more than servants and slaves.

Aria is determined to hate the prince, determined not to give into him in anyway, but his strange kindness, and surprising gentleness astonish her. Torn between her loyalties to the rebellion, and her growing love for her greatest enemy, Aria struggles to decide between everything she has ever known, and a love she never dreamed of finding.


Erica Stevens is quickly becoming an author that I can count on.  Each of her series that I pick up I find myself instantly adding each installment within that series to my TBR, because I know there is no way that I will be content without finding out what happens up to the very end.  I flew through this series opener and instantly ordered the next two installments in the series to satisfy my curiosity.

I was fascinated throughout the story as readers will see how we're fast forwarded to a future that's nearly impossible to imagine, and yet as they described how most modern technology that we all take for granted each and every day no longer exists.  Seeing Aria get so excited over a shower, and be so resistant to using eating utensils was surreal but intriguing.  I found myself pausing and looking around and wondering what I would do or how things would be without anything I consider modern to be at my very fingertips.

Stevens of course had me instantly rooting for these main characters to develop something between themselves that could last the test of time...and all the obstacles they would surely be forced to face.  Like I said, there was no way I was going to be OK to put this series opener aside and not go racing to read the next two available installments and finding out what would happen next.

I'll admit the ending threw me, definitely didn't see it coming and was somewhat crushed when it was revealed.  Yet another reason that I found myself downloading the next installment onto my Kindle so that I could pick up right where this book left off.  This was a fast, fun and highly entertaining and exciting read and I think if you guys are looking for a new book this summer, this series opener might be the perfect one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails