Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ARC Tour & Review: Things I Know About Love by Kate Le Vann

Livia's experience of love has been disappointing to say the least. But all that is about to change. After years of illness, she's off to spend the summer with her brother in America. She's making up for lost time, and she's writing it all down in her private blog. America is everything she ever dreamed of - and then she meets Adam. Can Livia put the past behind her and risk falling in love again?

If you're looking for a quick and light and fun read I think you'll find this book to be a good fit.  Normally opinions on books are vast and varied but the more I heard about this particular story the more I saw this book didn't fit into that mold.  Everyone I've talked to or read reviews from seems to agree that this is a "cute" and very "quick" book to get through.  With it's 167 pages I think it may be one of the shorter books I've read.

Livia has led a hard and somewhat sheltered life.  She is currently in remission when we are introduced to her and she takes the journey from the UK to the U.S. to visit her brother at college.  The book consists mainly of blog posts (which I loved) and it makes it more personable in my opinion.  Readers really get the feeling that they're hearing Livia's voice throughout her postings, it doesn't feel so much like a narration.  Her character was sweet and likable and I found myself pulling for her to come out on top.

Adam and Jeff (her brother) are two more characters I enjoyed in this story.  Livia and Jeff have a great brother/sister relationship and its touching to read.  I was envious.  Adam's posts were an additional way to get to know him and I enjoyed the opportunity.

This is a very short book as I said so the ending kind of rushed up on me but at the same time was not quite shocking.  Le Vann gives you laughs as well as tears and for me I thought it was a nice change to read a quick and touching story like this one.  If you're not looking for a Tolstoy sized read this might be exactly what you're looking for.

I gave Things I Know About Love 3 shamrocks!!!



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like one of those quick & easy reads to transition between two harder ones or when you don't know what to read next! I always go for shorter reads like that when I'm unsure of what to read and I don't want to commit!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails