Saturday, September 4, 2010

Review: Promise (Soul Savers) by Kristie Cook

Alexis Ames has a life full of promise…but not all promises can be kept.

When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can’t be real, she decides it’s time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family’s secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy…until she discovers he’s not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family’s secret society, the Angels’ army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy – Satan’s minions and Tristan’s creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

This is a story about difficult obstacles, true love, soul mates, secrets, good vs. evil and everything in between. Kristie Cook has created a world full of fascinating characters, interesting twists and stressful situations. There's also love that I could practically feel emanating off the pages, it was so strong I thought I was falling in love for a second. There were laughs, lots of tears and quite a bit of breaths that I had to hold waiting to see what was going to happen and how things were going to work out. Talk about your tension, whoa baby!

Alexis Ames has never been normal and she's always been somewhat of an outsider. Living and moving at the drop of a hat with her mom all over the country hasn't given her much of a chance to get a grip on her place in the world but she's hoping she'll be able to call Florida home for a while and add college to her daily routine. Fresh starts and clean slates being in the forefront of her mind, but let's just say she was going to be slightly disappointed. Little did she know that if she thought things were crazy before than she had no idea the spiral she was about to go down when she meets Tristan Knight.

Hello Tristan! Tristan is the ultimate guy, he's handsome, he's got manners and killer charm, he's always in showing up when you least expect him, and he's just pretty much all around perfect...or so everyone thinks. He's got his secrets just like Alexis has hers and it seems that they're not the only ones, sheesh there were so many people in this book telling so many different versions of the truth it's a wonder anyone could keep anything straight. But someone how Cook was able to keep things straight, clear and flowing effortlessly. Not to mention the fact that Cook writes romance and the build up that goes along with every budding relationship with the best of them and when big events start happening you didn't even realize how invested in the characters you were until its too late. I was taken by complete surprise and I'm still kind of reeling over how much I came to care about these characters.

Luckily I was aware of this being the first book in a series ahead of time so the cliffhanger Cook left me with wasn't a debilitating blow so much as a huge 'are you kidding me' moment, but I'm still hoping her second book in the Soul Savers series comes out sooner rather than later. Kristie Cook quickly became a favorite author of mine and I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't crush me in this next installment because I'm not sure I can take the stress she creates right at this moment. These characters feel a little bit like a fictional family to me and I want everyone to live happily ever after, is that so much to ask for?

I gave Promise (Soul Savers #1) 4 shamrocks!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful review Katelyn! I'm so curious about Tristan. The whole Soul Savers idea intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! You are totally to blame for my buying this and putting it on my Kindle. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I'm so glad you liked Promise. In fact, I have this huge grin on my face after reading your review. I'm putting the finishing touches on Purpose, book 2, right now, today. I don't have an exact release date yet, but it'll be shortly after Thanksgiving. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody and Kristie I'm so excited you stopped by, thanks for the kind words and I can't tell you how excited I am to hear you say you're finishing up Purpose...I know you don't have a release date but when you do I'll start the countdown :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been wanting to read this and now I definitely have to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my wish list. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great book. i couldn't put it down. so much better than Twilight.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails