Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Imagine every space in this room filled with people. Constantly being jostled and pushed. In the lower levels there is no quiet place. No peace. To a scrub, this room is paradise."

I drew a deep breath. I'd spoken more in one burst to this stranger whose room I'd invaded than anyone else in weeks. And with a single word he could alert the Pop Cops and send me to the Chomper. We stared at each other for a few heartbeats.

Before I could retreat he said, "My name's Riley Narelle Ashon. Any time you need peace, you're welcome to use my hideaway."


Keep you head down.

Don't get noticed.
Or else.

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own...until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

Maria V. Snyder always strikes gold...it's a no brainer anymore to be honest. I'm not sure why I waited so long to dive into this one, but regardless it was well worth the wait. I'm already of course anxious to get to the store so I can pick up the second installment and see what is in store for Trella and the rest of Snyder's characters next.

I'll admit I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one other than what little description readers are given with the back cover. I knew it would be a lot different than the other books Snyder has out in stores, and I wasn't quite sure that would be a good thing or a bad thing. I think I just failed to realize that whether it's completely different from her other stories or riding along the same wavelength, it doesn't matter as long as it's got Snyder's signature writing style. She's always maintained a fast paced storyline and it's also always jam packed with action and adventure.

This series seems to be no different and Snyder has made me a fan of yet another one of her main characters, in Trella, this go around. Her female leads are always strong willed, stubborn, and yet endearing to readers without even trying that hard. It's hard not to sympathize with Trella and the rest of those who live in the lower levels in the horrible conditions they have no way around. And until Trella meets Riley, I was on the "We hate the Uppers" bandwagon. But of course he changed my opinion as well as Trella's eventually. It's still touch and go throughout the whole storyline of who can she trust, what will happen next, and will the rebellion have a positive outcome or a terrible one?

Bottom line...if you're a Snyder fan, this book will only enhance that opinion you have of her writing! I'm off to grab a copy of Outside In, the second installment in her Insider series, and I can't wait!

I gave Inside Out (Insider, #1) 4 shamrocks!!!!



1 comment:

  1. I like that you mentioned Snyder's writing style-it is very distinctive and is what keeps me coming back for more of her stories. Hope you have a chance to read Outside In soon; I thought it was just as good!

    -Bookworm1858

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails