Friday, April 19, 2013

Continuing On (2)

Sometimes I find myself getting so caught up counting down to new releases that I forget about some of the books and series that I'm looking forward to continuing on.  So recently I went back through and checked in with some of my favorites to see what was going on.  I'll admit I was surprised (in a good way) to find that new installments had come out within a series I'd enjoyed.  So rather than counting down in these posts, I decided to list some titles that have come out that I need to back track and read in order to catch up.  Here are just a few...

Catch Up #1:  Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.


Like I said in the last continuing on post, I think I just needed a break from all things shadow hunter related, but I also think it was because the first installment in the series left me a little sad.  I didn't know who I wanted our leading lady to strike up a romance with but I know that Jem's situation left me very sad.  So hopefully enough time has passed that returning to Clare's spin off series is timed just right.

Catch Up #2:  A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2) by Kelly Keaton

Myth and mayhem inhabit a richly re imagined New Orleans in this sequel to Darkness Becomes Her.After the epic graveyard battle at the end of Darkness Becomes Her, Ari and her friends know what they’re up against: Ari is facing the Medusa curse and is haunted by the image of what she will become. To make matters worse, the heinous goddess Athena has kidnapped young Violet and is threatening to destroy Ari. 

Ari, along with the super hot Sebastian, is doing everything she can to learn more about Athena and to get Violet back. But the battle of good and evil is bigger than she realizes, and she’s about to be pulled into a world more horrific than she could ever imagine....


Any book that takes place in NOLA has my mouth instantly watering for chicory coffee and sugary beignets!  Ugh, you guys have no idea how badly I want some right this minute!  So maybe that's the reason I forgot about this sequel's release...my willpower when it comes to sweets only goes so far before it's all out torture!

Catch Up #3:  Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn, #2) by J.A. London

There's nowhere left to hide. 

I thought vampires were our enemies - they controlled our lives, isolated our cities, and demanded our blood - until I met Victor. With Victor taking over as the new Lord Valentine, things were supposed to get better. Instead, they're worse than ever. 

Day Walkers, a new breed of vampires who can walk in the sun, are terrorizing the city. Blood supplies are low, and if Victor's vampires don't get enough, they will become infected with the Thirst - a disease that will turn them into mindless killers. 

To stop it, I must journey across the desolate wasteland to the very place where the sickness began. I can only hope that the answers that await me are enough to save us all... before it's too late.


How did I miss this release?!  There are just too many great (potentially) new titles released all the time.  This was a series where the mother-son writing duo that is J.A. London won me over.  Their series opener, Darkness Before Dawn, hit it out of the park and had me instantly wanting more.  Now I've got to get a move on so I can be ready for the third and final installment in this trilogy, After Daybreak to complete the series.  Hopefully my fast reading habits are still going strong.

Catch Up #4:  Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


I read and reviewed the series opener right around it's release date so I think this was just a timing issues for me.  Regardless of the reason for my being late in the game, it's a series I don't want to fall behind with so I'm determined to keep this read on the top of my TBR.

Catch Up #5:  Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


The end of another really fun series.  Now I've already got enough reason to grab this one with her new spin off series, School Spirits in 2013.  I'm not going to pass that series up so I need to be up to speed before that first installment hits the shelves.  Plus I really want to know what happens to Cal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails