Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Legacy (Legacy, #1) by Molly Cochran

When her widowed father dumps 16-year-old Katy Jessevar in a boarding school in Whitfield, Massachusetts, she has no idea that fate has just opened the door to both her future and her past. Nearly everyone in Whitfield is a witch, as is Katy herself, although she has struggled all her life to hide her unusual talents. Stuck at a boarding school where her fellow students seem to despise her, Katy soon discovers that Whitfield is the place where her mother committed suicide under mysterious circumstances when Katy was just a small child. With dark forces converging on Whitfield, it's up to Katy to unravel her family's many secrets to save the boy she loves and the town itself from destruction.

First and foremost...a big shout out and thank you to Jennifer Murgia for introducing me to Molly Cochran and her wonderful series!  I wasn't sure what to expect out of this series but after hearing such glowing remarks from a few others who had already read the first two installments I was optimistic.  And I had every right to be!

I have to start off by saying Cochran's character development sold me right from the beginning.  I'm not sure how she wove it all together, but she somehow made it possible to get to know each of her characters while not weighing down the story with too much background information or an overload of details that inevitably are unnecessary to the overall storyline.  I felt like I was caught up to speed on the characters and their lives quickly but without anything being left out.  I enjoyed how they evolved from start to finish and felt like she was able to give her readers the full scope of who these people were while explaining the adventures they were in the process of exploring.

There's action and suspense, a good build up of enough anxiety that I was on the edge of my seat and all the while Cochran never slowed down.  She had me flying through the pages in order to find out what would happen next, and I was kept guessing until the very end.  It's always exciting for me when you come across a book that poses questions and doesn't spell it all out for the readers but has them working through the problems and obstacles right alongside the characters.  No one ever wants a book to be too revealing or predictable because it takes all the fun out of it.  Cochran nailed that and only left me wanting one thing in the end....the next installment!

I gave Legacy (Legacy, #1) 4 shamrocks!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I thought the idea for this book was cool, I always love witchy stories, but the story itself fell flat for me. Glad to hear it worked better for you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails