Monday, October 10, 2011

Clearing the Shelves (2)

Like I said before, after taking a closer look at my bookshelves at home, I was ashamed to realize how many books that have been added to my collection that I have yet to read. So now that I'm determined to catch up and begin making my way through these titles I'd like some help. If you've read any of the books I list let me know what you thought? Point me in the direction of reviews you've written or read, interviews with authors who wrote them, etc...

So here we go for round two...


When Kit Corrigan arrives in New York City, she doesn't have much. She's fled from her family in Providence, Rhode Island, and she's broken off her tempestuous relationship with a boy named Billy, who's enlisted in the army.

The city doesn't exactly welcome her with open arms. She gets a bit part as a chorus girl in a Broadway show, but she knows that's not going to last very long. She needs help--and then it comes, from an unexpected source.

Nate Benedict is Billy's father. He's also a lawyer involved in the mob. He makes Kit a deal--he'll give her an apartment and introduce her to a new crowd. All she has to do is keep him informed about Billy . . . and maybe do him a favor every now and then.

Being a winner of the National Book award in 2008, Blundell certainly has the resume that speaks for itself. While this would be my first time reading one of her novels, the reviews lead me to believe I'll enjoy the process. The plot sounds exciting and filled with tension and yet very different from any other book I've read. Have you guys had the chance to read this one yet? Have I been missing out? I'm always looking for new authors to add to my favorites list but would appreciate the feedback if you get the chance.


Miles "Pudge" Halter is abandoning his safe-okay, boring-life. Fascinated by the last words of famous people, Pudge leaves for boarding school to seek what a dying Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps."

Pudge becomes encircled by friends whose lives are everything but safe and boring. Their nucleus is razor-sharp, sexy, and self-destructive Alaska, who has perfected the arts of pranking and evading school rules. Pudge falls impossibly in love. When tragedy strikes the close-knit group, it is only in coming face-to-face with death that Pudge discovers the value of living and loving unconditionally.

While this book has won quite a few awards including the Michael L. Printz award, I've never seen or read too much about it in the blog world. John Green's name however is one I've heard over and over again. Add to the amount of times his name comes up, I've yet to hear anything negative. So why I've waited so long to read one of his books is beyond me, but I'm planning on rectifying that situation very soon.


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

I started this title a year ago and only got a few chapters in before I got distracted and didn't go back. A friend of mine said that if I liked The Hunger Games series than I would love this series. Not that I don't believe her, but at the time nothing could live up to Collins' masterpiece in my mind. So now that this series is almost complete, I think it's time to give it another try. Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as I"m told and will be grateful that I don't have to wait for the rest of the installments to come out.


Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn’t remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

Yet another book that I got as a gift and put off for too long. I've heard great things about this one and the ploy sounds different from what I've been reading lately. Hopefully it could be a good change of pace for me. In addition to all the positive reviews I've read of this title, I also recently saw that the sequel is coming out soon. Yet more initiative to crack this baby open and give it a whirl. If it's as great as everyone says I'm sure I"ll be racing to the bookstore to buy the next installment.


I've loved him forever, but he can never be mine.

Brittany is determined to prove herself to the Dark Guardians. And yet she's been keeping a devastating secret: She hasn't experienced any of the intense, early signs of change that mark a Dark Guardian's transformation. The only intense feelings she has are for Connor—and she's kept that a secret, too. But she knows she'll never truly have Connor's love if she's not a Shifter like him.

At the first full moon after her birthday, her greatest fear is realized: She doesn't transform. Brittany is so desperate to become a wolf that she'll go to extremes she never thought possible . . . and put all the Dark Guardians in incredible danger.

This is a series I stumbled upon by pure luck. The first two installments were awesome and made me an instant fan of Hawthorne. I started this third installment and will admit that I don't think I gave it a fair chance. Each book is centered around one female character and while I adore most of the characters, this book's focus was on Brittany and I wasn't really a fan. So I gave up quickly, saying I'd go back eventually but didn't. No more... I'm ready for round two and I'm hoping Hawthorne will surprise me and have me end up on team Brittany after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails