Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.


Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

There were so many reasons why I was looking forward to reading this series opener that I couldn't wait to dive right in. Anxious to see what kind of writer Keaton was and if she'd live up to all of her fans' rave reviews had me curious and definitely topped the list. The world and literature surrounding Greek and Roman mythology always intrigued me and this story was no different. Add to all that that my first trip to New Orleans, LA was taken last year and I couldn't wait to see what all I'd find and recognize in Keaton's New 2 scenery. Let me just say that even the small mention on beignets and chicory coffee nearly had me booking a plane ticket just so I could indulge in my all time favorite treat. I barely managed to resist.

Keaton created wonderful and mysterious characters for this series that I truly enjoyed getting to know and will hopefully be able to uncover and unlock more about each of them in the future. Once Ari made it to New 2 it was a non-stop race against time for information. I think readers will share her anxiety and frustration due to her lack of knowledge regarding her family and her past. It was impossible not to root for her while she undertook this journey for any and all details that might help her understand her past, and what to expect for her future.

While I enjoyed exploring New 2 with Ari and her new "family", I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next and where they'll go forward. The groundwork has been set and I'm excited to see what's in store next. Keaton's new series continues on February 21, 2012 with A Beautiful Evil and I can only assume the fun, anxiety and mystery will only get better from there.

I gave Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) 3 shamrocks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails