Thursday, October 27, 2011

Countdown: Dystopian Dynamos

I'm not sure when these titles moved over into their own genre, but I do know that I was slightly behind in the game when I eventually found them. I've said it before and I'll say it again I owe Suzanne Collins big time for introducing me to a genre that I've come to really enjoy. The Hunger Games trilogy introduced me to the genre and I've been a big fan ever since. There's something about a book where the characters are faced with a world at it's worst and the people struggling to survive. I know that it's a lot easier to get invested in the characters when they're trying their best to cling to whatever small amount of hope they can right from the get go. I'm not sure I'll ever really be able to explain to others why I've come to enjoy dystopian novels so much, but I certainly have at that.

Regardless of why, I've found two new titles that fit nicely into this genre that are coming out next year and I'm super excited to read them. Have you guys heard of these titles yet? Are there any teasers out there to give readers a little more insight in to what we can expect from these books? If you can think of any others that are expected to hit the shelves soon be sure to let me know.

Countdown Pick #1: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi (1/3/2012)

Exiled from her comfortable home in the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. In Reverie, she spent time with her friends roaming virtual environments called Realms. But in The Death Shop, even the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage. He’s also her only hope for survival.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry sees Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he also needs Aria’s help; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, they come together reluctantly, and embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by cannibals and wolves. Their unlikely alliance will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.


The Hunger Games may have created a place in my heart for dystopian novels, but there are several others out there that have made sure I remain a fan. Before Collins' series I wouldn't have known what the genre even contained. But now I've come to really enjoy them and I'm hoping Rossi will provide another that I can add to my new favorite genre. I'm anxious to learn what Rossi's world is like and why Aria was exiled from her home. Goodreads said it was a tantalizing romance and it's without a doubt one that I can't wait to start.

Countdown Pick #2: Hollow by Richard Denney (5/8/2012)

Welcome to the house of Hollow.

In a dystopian future, sixteen year old Leah Munro has been sold to a rich woman in a crippling mansion. Soon Leah discovers that there is something mysterious going on around the home, and with the help of three other girls, she attempts to uncover what is truly happening... what lies beyond all of the plexiglass windows and the hideous screams in the middle of the night? Leah will soon find out.


Now this is one I don't know much about. The book's description leads you to believe a large mystery or secret is at the center of it all but not much else is let on to readers. Girls are sold, but what for and why? This future world is a mystery itself and I'm curious how much the upcoming teasers will tell us when they're released, or if they'll clue us in before the book's actual release next year. I'm told a fifty page novella is something to be on the lookout for come December, so we can only hope it clears some things up and gives some more details. The author's blog features a post where he casts actors to play in a movie version of his novel if in the future one is ever made. Cool right? Check it out if you want a preview of what the author says his characters look close to, head on over and report back what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails