Friday, April 9, 2010

In My Mailbox (3)

This is a meme that I first heard about from Kristi over at The Story Siren and immediately wanted to jump on board. Every week we’ll post about what books we have received (whether they’re bought/borrowed, etc… you get the idea). This is generally done on Sunday, but I’m told that it’s really whatever day works for you; I’m going to be posting mine on Fridays because I tend to post less on the weekends. Everyone participating will try and visit other lists to comment and possibly pine for the new arrivals everyone’s talking about. I’ve learned that it’s a great idea to really try and stop by at least two or three lists because I’m constantly finding out about new books that I’ve later added to my TBR list.Happy Reading!

This week I’ve added the following to my collection:

Heist Society by Ally Carter

When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat's dad needs her help.

For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in history-or at least her family's (very crooked) history.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is black. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they could remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the maze after dark.

The Gladers were expecting Thomas’s arrival. But the next day, a girl springs up—the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might be able to find their way home . . . wherever that may be. But it’s looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable.
And something about the girl’s arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers—if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke

Shale is the lowest of the low-an outcast from a poor village in the heart of the desert. In the desert water is life, and currency, and Shale has none. But he has a secret. It's the one thing that keeps him alive and may save all the cities of the Quartern in the days to come. If it doesn't get him killed first...

Terelle is a slave fleeing a life as a courtesan. She finds shelter in the home of an elderly painter but as she learns the strange and powerful secrets of his art she fears she may have traded a life of servitude for something far more perilous...

The Stormlord is dying in his tower and there is no one, by accident or design, to take his place. He brings the rain from the distant seas to his people. Without a Stormlord, the cities of the Quartern will wither and die.

Their civilization is at the brink of disaster. If Shale and Terelle can find a way to save themselves, they may just save them all. Water is life and the wells are running dry...

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen. 

Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.

In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.

And although I've had this book on my shelf for some time I pulled it down and decided to finally give it a shot...I'll let you know how it turns out.

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

Before he knew about the Roses, sixteen-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind - part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre magical heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player. Jack's performance on the soccer field has alerted the entire magical community to the fact that he's in Trinity. And until one of the houses is declared Jack's official sponsor, there are no limits to what they'll do to get Jack to fight for them. . . .


Don't forget to visit the Book Blogger Hop over at Crazy-for-Books and check out some great blogs that you may not know about.  Since I've joined I've found some amazing ones and I can't wait to see who joins this week!


12 comments:

  1. I love the look of your site! It's my favorite color blue. I hopped over from the Book Blog Hop. I'm now a follower. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome books you received!! I really really want to read Fragile Eternity! I've had The Maze Runner for forever and really need to get it read!

    Love your blog!! Found you via the Blog Hop! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys....I had help with the blog template from Blogger but really do love it and the Wicked Lovely series is turning out to be one that I love...I'm with you April on the Maze Runner...it's been on my TBR list for way too long so hopefully I'll get it read pronto...everyone says its great! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found you at the blog hop.

    You scored some great books this week. Enjoy!

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on the blog hop tour as well.... taking pictures... wearing large tourist sun glasses.... LOL

    Your mailbox has some great reads in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stash!

    Lovely blog!

    Great title and layout!

    I found you through the blog hop.
    -Juju
    Tales of Whimsy.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just bouncing through on the hop. Here's ME.

    P.S. I loved Heist Society, I'm now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you through the hop; now a follower! Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much everyone for stopping by and adding to my followers...I am loving this blog hop because I've found so many great blogs this way and I can't wait to check yours out.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also found you through the Blog Hop, I'm following you now. Check my blog out if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of cool stuff this week! I just got Maze Runner, too. I see you're reading Shiver---I hope your loving it as much as I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO jealous!!! I want Heist Society more then anything in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails