Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ARC Review: Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

The Passage meets the House of Night series in this gritty alternate reality where vampires make the rules...and one girl dares to break them.

The war is over. And the vampires won. Humans huddle inside walled cities, supplying blood to their vampire overlords in exchange for safety - but not even that is guaranteed.


Dawn Montgomery has lost her entire family and now reluctantly serves as her city's delegate to Lord Valentine, the most powerful vampire for miles. It isn't until she meets Victor, Valentine's son that she realizes not all vampires are monsters...


I've got myself a new favorite read everybody! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough in this one. I can't say that I found this to be a surprise, but I was really excited to learn that despite all the hype that I was experiencing before getting my hands on a copy of this to read, I discovered that it wasn't in vain. This new title lived up to the jazz and then some.

J.A. London makes up the mother-son writing team of Jan and Alex Nowasky. Jan also writes under the name of Rachel Hawthorne and is widely known for her (very) popular Dark Guardian series. It was one of my favorites and I was very disappointed and sad to hear that after four books, the series was ending. But the disappointment didn't last long, because shortly after I realized that series was over, I got wind of this upcoming release and couldn't have been more excited to see what the mother-son team was capable of. And let me tell you, they can pack a punch for sure!

Not knowing what to expect from this alternate reality where humans are at the bottom of the food chain and are forced to supply blood for the vampires that overthrew them was a little harder to grasp. But I'll admit I quickly caught up, as I'm sure other readers will as well. The pace is fast and readers won't really have a choice but to catch on quickly because it's impossible not to devour this one as quick as possible...it's too addicting to take breaks and stop for just about anything...including meals and sleep.

After getting a feel for the characters and people Dawn is surrounded with on a daily basis, readers get introduced to the juicy parts, the vampires, the delegates and the agency they report to and all the stress that goes right along with it. Without giving away too many spoilers since this one won't be hitting the shelves until May 29th readers just have to know that there is a lot going on with this title and every little bit counts. This writing team will be keeping their readers glued to the pages and desperate to find out what will come next for these new and exciting characters. I know I'm already chomping at the bit for another taste of this world and Dawn and the rest of her crew.

I gave Darkness Before Dawn 5 shamrocks!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails