Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis

What if you forgot your identity and had to rely on other people to tell you who you were?

And what if to discover your true self, you first had to unravel a mystery so big and terrifying you were not sure you’d survive solving it?


When Marshall and Elyse wake up in each other’s arms with zero memory of how they got there or who they are, it’s the start of a long journey through their separate pasts and shared future.


Terrified by their amnesia, the two make a pact to work together to find the answers that could jog their missing memories. As they piece together clues, they discover they’re in the idyllic mountain resort town of Summer Falls, where everyone seems mysteriously happy, but as Marshall and Elyse quickly learn, darkness lurks beneath the town’s perfect facade. Not only is the town haunted by sinister ghosts, but none of its living inhabitants retain bad memories of anything—not the death of Marshall’s mom, not the hidden shame in Elyse’s family, not even the day-to-day anguish of high school.


Lonely in this world of happy zombies, Marsh and Elyse fall into an intense relationship...but the secrets they uncover could be the death of this growing love—and the death of everyone, and everything, they love in Summer Falls.


This was a different kind of read for me. I've been in a reading slump of some kind lately and this apparently was just the type of book to knock me right out of that slump and get me back on track. I've never been one that can turn down a mystery and when there's romance thrown into the mix as well, I'm putting my money on it being my kind of read. And I was right! This was my first experience with Kitanidis' writing, and I must say that I was impressed. She has a way with words and how she shapes her scenes that had me as the reader in a sort of panic to find out what was happening to these people, most importantly her two main characters. I was desperate to see what was going on with everyone.

Kitanidis allows her readers to take this journey she's mapped out right along with her main characters, Elyse and Marshall. They've woken up with no memory as to who they are or what happened to them that could possibly be responsible for wiping out there memories. They are forced to start with a clean slate, much like readers entering the story. It's a unique way to go through a book, but one I enjoyed. It probably was one of the main reasons I was anxious throughout most of this title because while I was wondering what would happen next, it was almost impossible not to empathize with the lead characters going through the same emotions, only for them it's their life we're talking about. How scary to wake up and not remember anything! Not something I have any wish to experience first hand.

So it all boils down to can you handle the suspense? It was touch and go for me at a few parts, but I'm glad I stuck it out and was relieved the more that was revealed throughout. It's rough not knowing what's coming next and if these characters will be able to piece together the puzzle that has become their lives. I'm getting better at handling the anxiety that comes with mysteries likes these. Definitely a wonderful addition to my bookshelf!

I gave Glimmer 3 shamrocks!!!



1 comment:

  1. I loved loved loved this novel so much! Glad you enjoyed it. :) The characters are great, too - they're imperfect and realistic. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails