Friday, April 6, 2012

ARC Review: Such A Rush by Jennifer Echols

The wildly popular author of Going Too Far, Forget You, and Love Story returns with a sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business - until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers - and the consequences could be deadly.

Engrossing and intense, Such a Rush is a captivating story from an author with a rising star.


As a huge Echols fan myself, the second I see one of her titles hit the shelves or notice that one will be coming out soon, I can't help but get super excited to see what she has in store for her readers next. Her characters, mainly the couples that she focuses on in her books have really grabbed my attention in the past and refused to let go. I have found myself on more than one occasion finishing up the book feeling as though these characters are my friends or part of the family. They are always that endearing and easy to relate to that it's hard to see them as just characters on a page. Their circumstances are always such that I've become a cheerleader for them from beginning to end, and when it's time to say goodbye it's always a little bittersweet.

Not much changed this go around for me. I still love Echols' writing and the stories that she weaves together. Her characters still grabbed my attention and had me biting my nails to see what their fate would ultimately become. Most of her books feature hard lessons learned and tough situations in which the characters themselves must work their way out of them or be lost and have no one to blame but themselves. She's a real motivator for sure. It's a journey that I think readers relish and enjoy being able to experience right along with Echols' characters. While I might not be in high school anymore, I'm not so old that I can't remember what that experience was like, however these characters were hard to relate to on my end at some points. I didn't really have anything in common with them but at the same time, it was eye opening and incredibly humbling to see the circumstances individuals find themselves in that are completely out of their control.

So for me, while I couldn't exactly picture myself in Leah's shoes, or relate to what it must feel like for a girl like her growing up and being judged practically the instant anyone meets her, without giving her even a chance to prove their immediate reactions wrong, all I could do was sympathize and silently cheer her on and hope that she showed everybody up in the end. Echols not only had me loving Leah, but the Hall family as well. Wow! I fell a little bit in love with each and every one of them, including their father. They were just too great even when they were kind of awful. Hard to explain but I think other readers will be able to relate once they've had the chance to see for themselves. And to top it all off...I kind of want to see if I can conquer my fear of flying and see if I can possibly experience the same rush that is so revered by everyone...wish me luck!

If you're an Echols fan or just curious to see what this one is about, I really do think you'll enjoy this read. And as always it will once again leave you crossing your fingers that she'll be putting another title on the shelves really soon!

I gave Such A Rush 4 shamrocks!!!!



1 comment:

  1. The cover alone makes me want to read it. I've never read and Echols book but I've heard great things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails