Tuesday, May 1, 2012

ARC Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences? This is life for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.

Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

A cross-country trip to meet her father forces Anna to face the reality that hope and love are not options for her kind. When she confronts her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


Yet another series opener that has pulled me in and left me no hope of getting away. Higgins created a very unique and interested set up throughout this entire debut and I really think fans or this type of novel are going to fall in love with everything she included. You're got the good guys and the bad guys, but the lines are not so clear, and it's not really all black and white, but more muddled with gray areas than I was used to. I loved not knowing who was going to do something and win me over with each turn of the page. Or have me reacting the opposite and wanting nothing more than for certain characters to get what's coming to them after creating so many obstacles for my favorite lead characters.

It was crazy how much Higgins managed to pack into this debut, and she did this without it being too much, if that makes sense. She has the ability to take readers on an adventure right alongside her characters, and while I felt overwhelmed for the leads, like Anna and Kaidan and all that they were dealing with, I still wanted to learn more. So many times I read books that include way to much detail, to the point where all I can do is focus on the amount of text that could have been left out completely. This was not the case in Sweet Evil. Higgins includes a lot but readers will want more, and they won't be satisfied until their demands are met.

While I love receiving ARCs, there are a few drawbacks. The biggest in my opinion is that while you get the opportunity to check out the read before it hits the shelves, at the same time you are then left waiting even longer for the second installment to be released. Higgins has me hooked, and she did it before I even made it half way through her book. I can't wait to see how other readers are going to react to this debut! I can only imagine the positive feedback she'll be receiving. While they haven't yet scheduled a second release for this series, Higgins has said on her site that she pictures it as a trilogy and I am crossing my fingers that her vision becomes a reality!

I gave Sweet Evil 4 shamrocks!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails